Tuesday 9 April 2013

Queer prayer beads


Religious imagery has always fascinated me, and I do love my little obsessions, so when I did some research into prayer beads I wanted to make some of my own. Not because I pray (though I do often ask the Universe to bring some joy into a friend's life, for example), and not because I have any gods (again, other than the Universe and the Earth). So my prayer beads are queer prayer beads. Each bead represents a queer icon, or symbol, that is important to me.



So they are arranged chronologically, from past to future. The beads are all 925 sterling silver, which is my favourite metal (plus it goes with all my other jewellery).

A pyramid, to represent Khnumhotep and Niankhkhnum
A deer, a boar, and a wolf, to represent the three children of Gwydion and Gilfaethwy
An apple, to represent Alan Turing (with whom I share a birthday).
A star, to represent the first queer actors, the first films to ignore the Hay's Code, and the first queer filmakers who worked hard to show us on screen
A blue glass bead to represent Derek Jarman's seminal film Blue
A wizard's hat, to represent Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore (I always knew he was gay)
A rugby ball, to represent the amazing Gareth Thomas "Alfie", the first openly gay male athlete on any pro team - and also the second highest Wales try scorer (after Shane Williams, who I was in school with)


I'm looking for a bead to represent the Stonewall riots in 1969. If you can think of one, please let me know!

2 comments:

Kittredge Cherry said...

My partner Audrey and I are thrilled and shouting with excitement as we look at your Queer Prayer Beads! What a lovely idea, beautifully executed! I am going to have fun exploring all the links provided.

And I’ll be thinking about what kind of bead can represent Stonewall. Perhaps a stone as in STONEwall? Audrey suggests a shot glass! A drag queen’s high heeled shoe? The number 69 for the year 1969? We’re really brainstorming here! Audrey says, “This man is pure creativity!”

We’re wondering if you crafted these beads yourself?

Because of your connection to Alan Turing, I want to make sure that you saw the painting devoted to him in the new LGBT Stations of the Cross by Mary Button. You can find it on the Jesus in Love Blog at this link:

Station 6: Veronica wipes Jesus’ face / gay scientist driven to suicide
http://www.jesusinlove.blogspot.com/2013/03/station-6-veronica-wipes-jesus-face-gay.html

Andrew Craig Williams said...

I wish I had the skill to make beads like this! No, I bought them from all over the world. I do want to try using precious metal clay, so maybe for my next project.

An actual stone with a hole drilled through it is a genius idea!

Thanks for the link, I've commented on your blog :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails